Sunday, January 6, 2008

Reach! I did!


Every once and a while, life becomes stagnant and you need a new challenge. My challenge was learning how to ski in a mono-ski in the experiential mono ski clinic I attended this weekend. While I have been a ski instructor for a few years, it has been a while since I have been in the shoes of a student struggling with a new skill that initially seemed very much out of my reach.

Like you read in my last post, I was really scared about the prospect of sitting in the [mono-ski] bucket, very concerned about my lack of control. Despite my anxiety, this experience was well worth it. I appreciated being pushed a little bit out of my comfort zone because I was able to reach and accomplish much more in the mono-ski then I ever I thought I could. I not only linked turns, but with the help of one of my course conductors Kirsty and my friend Ray, I was brave enough to try more challenging terrain albeit a green circle, and I even engaged my ski on a few steep inclines by carefully leaning into the fault line while attached to the mono-ski.

While I did fall A LOT and I did roll the ski once with me in it, I am not discouraged. I look forward to mono skiing again and I encourage other adaptive instructors to experience the power and grace of the mono-ski. Just be warned, this adaptive sports technology requires a strong upper body, muscles that I pushed to the limit during this event. But the pain my friends, was well worth it!

Check out the animoto I created with some pictures from the clinic.

4 comments:

Keri said...

That's awesome Christine!
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself while learning something new!

Adam Dugger said...

Nice to see you enjoying the weather! Me.. I'm ready for spring!

See you soon!

NJTechTeacher said...

It looks like you have to really trusting to try the mono ski. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

That was awesome!
It has been a while since I have tried something new -- and kinda dangerous --

Grins, you have given me incentive to try something new.

JenWagner