Friday, April 4, 2008

Assistive Technology Wiki from the CEC

I attended some great poster sessions during the Technology and Media Division Assistive Technology Showcase at the CEC Conference. Many of the presentations were about using specific technology programs with students to help them to be more successful with their learning and communication.

The division created a wiki in an attempt to go green. You can visit the site here and check out the resources yourself: http://simmonsatshowcase.wikispaces.com

My favorite was: The Read Write Web as presented by Karen Janowski and Beth Lloyd. Their presentation was about using web 2.0 to differentiate instruction. One of the more popular programs they shared with their audience was voicethread.

I was surprised that many special education teachers didn't know about this great program. Just in case you're one of those teachers, check out one of the voicethreads that Lisa Parisi and I have created with the students in our class, The South Paris Collaborative.




If you're interested in using VoiceThread in your classroom, be sure to sign up for an educator's account. There is a one time activation fee of $10.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine-
I used the Voice Thread with my students today and they LOVED it!! Once they understood they were being recorded I couldn't get them to stop talking!! Thank you so much for turning me on to this site. Hope you don't mind if I mention it on my Blog? Have a great week.
anne marie
www.annemarie80.edublogs.org

Karen Janowski said...

Christine,
It was so great to finally meet you F2F and to share what your classes are doing with VoiceThread.
The ability to differentiate using VT is incredible and we need to let educators know about this tool. It's easy, it's fun and it's motivating for our kids.
And thanks for the mention in your blog post!