Friday, November 14, 2008

Do You See What I See?

Do you see what I see when it comes to viewing my blog? Well according to @Teach42:

Today it’s time [you] take a very close look at your blog in a very broad way. Presumably you see your blog pretty often. But let’s face it, how often do you visit your blog from the same browser, on the same computer, using the same monitor with the same resolution settings? That’s a pretty narrow viewpoint!

So at the suggestion of Beth Knittle, I used http://browsershots.org/ to check the browser compatibility of my blog through what is formally called a cross browser test. Using the data about my blog from Google Analytics, I learned that my visitors use FireFox, Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera and Chrome to view my blog. I then queried http://browsershots.org/ to take screenshots of my blog in each of those browsers. These are the results at 640 pixels wide:





I'm surprised by the results. Apparently you do not see what I see when you're visiting my blog from different browsers. I would love allocate more time to play with my site for your viewing pleasure, but time is scarce right now. But as @Teach42 stated in his blog, today’s challenge is to KNOW. I now KNOW. BTW - I also now know what my blog looks like in an RSS feed. Thanks to @Sue Waters for suggesting that you should subscribe to your own blog. It's like looking at yourself from the outside in, instead of the inside out. Do you see what I see?


Creative Commons Photo by j/f photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/good-karma/498917143/sizes/l/

3 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I'm so glad you shared the link to browsershots. I had never heard of it and can't wait to try it! Thanks.

Sue Waters said...

Hey Christine - Glad to hear you are now subscribing to your blog using RSS.

I see you have added the gmail contact details to your blog. Looks really cool. Will be interested to hear how you find having it on your blog.

Beth Knittle said...

Hi Christine, I am really enjoying this challenge. I am learning lots of little tips and connecting to many new blogs. Glad you are participating too.